[Phys-L] Re: Survey Meters

I suspect LK also knows that a camera and an o'scope may be used as a v.
low resolution PHA. The res. may be improved by expanding the scale and
vertical positioning to see the region of interest.

bc, who still has a Tek. o'scope camera.

p.s. since the typical resolution of a Tl-NaI xtal is ~ 8% (@ 662 keV),
any old ordinary regulated HV p/s will do after a good warm up.

p.p.s. bc's senior phys. lab. project (1958) was to build two
distributed amps (tested 100 MHz by the local E, G, and G lab.), and
feed them from a scint. between two side window MPT's. I inserted cable
to check the coincidence resolution. I think the coincidence detector
was an adder followed by a discriminator. I got it from recent articles
by de Benedetti.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

1) It occurred to me, while reading my own message, that a camcorder
"filming" the screen of an oscillograph can be used to count pulses
later. This is not a cheap solution, unless one already has an
oscilloscope and a camcorder.

2) Being creative is part of being a physicist. How many know that
simultaneity of some nuclear events was discovered by using a
telegraphic paper tape? That was before electronic methods of counting
coincidences were invented. The tape was moving when two humans were
recording "counts" from their detectors. Each used pencils to mark
moments at which particles were arriving. After collecting data for a
while they "replayed" the tape and counted positional coincidences of
pencil marks. I think that cosmic showers were discovered in that way
(in 1930s?).

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.

Brian,
If your goal is nothing else but to detect alpha particles then the
approach you described should work. Depending on the PMT (photo
multiplier tube) and a chain of resistors that often comes with it (to
evenly distribute the applied HV among dynodes) you will need a power
supply delivering several mA at about 1000 V (preferably adjustable
between 800 and 1200 V). To do spectroscopy you would need a very
stable voltage. But for your purpose a simple power supply would be
sufficient. Expect each alpha particle to produce a pulse of about one
volt or so. Unless you are satisfied with observing pulses with an
oscilloscope (via a simple CR coupling) some way of counting pulses
will be needed. In the old days it would a mechanical counter with a
power amplifier based on one tube. A more modern solution would be to
use, for example, Vernier interface box and software. It is a good
project if one is willing to spend time and money. And a good student
project, I think. Showing that radioactive dust concentrates on a
screen of any monitor or TV can be very exciting. Also "discovering"
how radioactivity comes down in several hours.

P.S.
As you certainly know, the PMT, the scintillator and the source should
be in total darkness when the HV is applied.