[Phys-L] Re: Divinely Inspired Behavior

At 03:06 PM 10/14/2005, Mike Edmiston, you wrote:
I agree with Jack that the intent of his last sentence depends on the
context provided by his preceding sentences.

For example, Christians might think they are operating from a code of
behavior directly stated by Jesus or from other divinely inspired words
in the Bible; however, to the extent the code of behavior appearing in
the Bible is just a rephrasing of Aristotle or the Code of Hammurabi,
one might question whether the Bible is divine (or divinely inspired)
rather than simply plagiarized from earlier thinkers.

///

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817
(419)-358-3270
edmiston@bluffton.edu

A code of conduct? I think I have heard numerous codes mentioned in that
work: concerning the treatment of slaves, cutting off offensive body
parts, retribution to the tune of an eye for an eye, advising on the
question of should a widow remarry, should it be to her husband's
brother...and so on.

These sentiments are so various, I expect they can find a match from
earlier cultures in part. I take the view that if there is a divine
essence it has been sought in every culture in history - and no
culture has become the monopoly on appropriate conduct.

I suppose it is the Inerrant Bible adherent that is the subject of
observation here.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!