[Phys-L] Re: THE WEDGE STRATEGY of The ID Movement

Hi all-

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, John Clement wrote (in part):

OTOH the city states in Italy and along the Dalmatian coast had extremely
prosperous functioning republics while still being firmly Roman Catholic.

In name, but not in practice. The popes of the time were
blatantly non celibate.

Venice was a republic and extremely prosperous at the same time. The
Venetians still resent being part of the rest of Italy and often long for
the old republic. Algebra was invented in an Islamist world.

Algebraic questions go back to, at least the Egyptian priests of
the 15th century bce, instructing their students how to divide the beer
ration among the pyramid workers. The use of symbols, in "word questions"
if that's what John means by algebra, is credited to the Persion
astronomer Omar Khayyam who was a rebellious Sufi, according to my sources.

Newton's mathematices, and the calculus,leaned heavily upon the
work of Arhimedes, who, as far as I know, regularly sacrificed to Zeus, or
Athena, or Bacchus, or ..., who knows?

So what, exactly, is the point being made here?
Regards,
Jack