----- Original Message -----
From: "James E Mackey" <jmackey@HARDING.EDU>

Or one might say that the decline in moral basis in our society allows
governments to do things that would have prompted massive opposition in
earlier generations, when the US was still a "Christian?" nation and at
least paid official "lip-service" to christian principles.
James Mackey

Seems like our 'Christian' ancestors had little trouble with the genocide,
enslavement, and general denial of rights to women, the poor, non-whites,
etc. To be sure some Christians were invovled in the movements that
ultimately reversed (most) of these policies, but since the policies
themselves were being promulgated by 'Christians', it is hard to argue that
it was 'Christianity' that spear-headed the (less than massive) opposition
to the policies.

Rick