[Phys-L] Re: THE WEDGE STRATEGY of The ID Movement

In a message dated 10/12/2005 4:21:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
anngeorg@PACBELL.NET writes:

Curious, Sweden has an established religion (receives tax money) as does
the UK. Now whether those established religions have great influence is
another matter. I lived (stayed) in Sweden during the 60's for about
two months. One surprise was the donation cans in the banks for victims
of the VietNam war. Another was finding an American in every Physics
lab. at Chalmers. I was offered also, but a citizen was found who, of
course, had preference. For some time the Swedish church was the state
bureaucracy for vital stats, and other duties, I suppose. My hosts told
me this was gradually being taken over by the state.>>

Religion has little influence in Sweden, very few Swedes attend Church. This
may explain Sweden's high level of social development.

============================

_http://www.gavinsblog.com/?p=2364_ (http://www.gavinsblog.com/?p=2364)

I think it's the nature of the influence not its existence. For example
Italy is supposedly 97% Catholic yet it has the lowest birth rate in
western Europe!, and maybe the world. consider catechism #2378>>

===============================

Italy's Church attendance stands at about 40 percent and is declining as the
older generation dies off. In fact this is the trend in most of Western
Europe.

A child may not be considered a piece of property, an idea to which an
alleged "right to a child" would lead. In this area, only the child
possesses genuine rights: the right "to be the fruit of the specific act
of the conjugal love of his parents," and "the right to be respected as
a person from the moment of his conception." (#2378)

Rather a Humanist statement, no?>>>

===================================
No. Humanists see Human rights in broader terms. The right of a fetus
doesn't trump the rights of a women to have autonomy over her body. But it's pure
hypocrisy for most of the so called pro life crowd who can be found warmly
supporting war, the death penalty as well as honoring the right of a stem cells
over those of Human beings suffering from terrible diseases and
disabilities. Their real motivation is opposition to women's rights. Also they can be
generally found supporting politicians who reject the idea that poor children
have a right to health care. The United States has one of the highest child
mortality rates among wealthy western countries because of this.

Bob Zannelli