[Phys-L] Re: A Third law question

Actually I think that part of my answer leaves much to be desired.
Maybe it's narrowly true, but the answers given by others are much
better:
-- the bowstring suggested by David Willey

But why does the bow string resist? It is because of the inertia of the
bow. And why does the bow have inertia? Nobody knows. I think we miss the
issue at the heart of the students problem if we neglect this point.

As for the other part of my answer, namely conservation of momentum, I
still
agree with myself about that. :-)

I don't mind the conservation of momentum part of your answer either. That
is a good way to think about the situation. As to the nobody knows what
causes inertia, gravity, charge, etc. part of my answer, I still agree with
myself about that. :-)