[Phys-L] Re: Charts or Graphs, and other Excel stuff

Hi all:
Michael wrote, in relevant part:
Whether it is called a graph or a chart is a minor thing. My major
point is that spreadsheet software, as wonderful as it is, has perhaps
had some negative effects. It gives students the illusion they don't
have to make decisions about how the graph should look, or how the data
in a table should look. It gives them the illusion the software will
take care of all that for them. I am saying it does not. The default
output is only a starting point. And, since spreadsheet software is
designed for business use, the default result might be further from the
desired result for a scientific application than it would be for a
business application.

I may have mentioned that my daughter is currently pursuing a graphic
design degree. The things I am talking about are what graphic designers
have to do all the time. I am pleased that she tells me her program
makes some use, but little use, of graphic-design software during the
first two years of the program. They are drawing and coloring by hand
and constructing 3D objects by hand. The graphic design profs don't
want computer software making any decisions for the students. They
don't want the students to rely on software until they understand the
graphic communication process. I think that's a smart program...

Right on!
Never mind Excel. The students I see have no idea how to set up a
graph. I've attacked this problem to some degree in my calculus text (see
my homepage). When I ask the reader to graph something, I give some
directions about choice of graph paper and how to set up the scale and the
coordinates. Moral: don't assume that the students have any prior
knowledge of what you mean by "graph" - or whatever you call it.

For those who are tempted to set up graphing exercises, make sure
you spend some time on how to mislead with graphs. This can be fun, and
also alert the students to bad habits.
Regards,
Jack