[Phys-L] Re: Physics project rubric?

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday,
September 29, 2005 at 10:58 AM -0700 wrote:
One project is a "building" project where they choose to build something
that is challenging and may have to take several attempts to get it right
(for example: "caterpillar" engine boat, RC wall crawler, land yacht,
etc.). In the meantime, I have them keep daily journals of their progress
and plans of what to do next.

The second type of project is a "How does it work project", where students
pick a complex mechanical device and figure out how it works (for example:
wind-up clock, combination lock, etc.). The students then make a
presentation of their device and how it works.

I do not want to discourage any activity that causes people to think.
However, I do find it interesting, in my own career and in what I observe
others do, that when we do thnk of a project it is Engineering we lean to
rather than simply Physics. Do we set these up to emphasize Physics?

Just pondering,

Ken Fox