There are a couple of additional lessons to be drawn from what the
master machinist _did_, in contrast to what he _said_ about the
"typical" machinist.

1) If I got a specification of the form 5.000 inches, with no other
information, I would take it as a sign that the specifier didn't
know what he was doing. I would go back to the guy and find some
way of teaching him to do things right.

This is exactly what the master machinist did! This is also the
#1 recommendation that I provide in my discussion of how to survive
an attack of the sig figs:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/uncertainty.htm#sec-survival

2) The master machinist's final recommendation did *not* involve
relying on any form of sig figs! Instead he recommended stating
the tolerance separately and explicitly. This is what I have been
recommending at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/uncertainty.htm#sec-rec