[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capabilities

"So what?"

My point is, my impression of Brit maths [then] is it's not ethereal as
taught here.

which fits:

"'Math department' in that context meant something completely different
from Math deparment here."

bc, thinks, maybe it's too late, at night, for his intelligent thought.

p.s. And now that the Soviets have gone cap. the teaching will have
also? Has anyone attempted to blame Thatch for the state of teaching in
England?

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Peter and I worked together in Berkeley in the 50's. At least one of our
papers has been cited in the last decade.

I post-doc-ed at Imperial College in '59 and we have local people who came
out of Cambridge and elsewhere in Britain. It is true that Theoretical
Physics in Britain was often considered part of the math department. So
what? "Math department" in that context meant something completely
different from Math deparment here.

We have a frequent visitor from Edinburgh who decries the teaching of
elementary mathematics in British secondary schools today. The message is
that Britain is not the place to look for guidance on how to teach. The
bright undergrads that are around currently came from the (now extinct)
Soviet Union. I don't particularly like that fact, but it seems to be
true.