[Phys-L] Re: Quarters vs Semesters

Joel wrote:
Mike gave a cynical opinion of the change from semesters to
quarters.<snip>

To set the record straight, it's the other way around. We changed from
quarters to semesters.

Joel also said I forgot to mention the savings in administering
registration (and grades) two times a year rather than three times a
year. Actually I didn't forget that. I left it out because I don't
believe it. If we were still mailing grades we would save postage. But
hardly anyone mails grades anymore, including us. Faculty enter grades
directly into the computer and students can get them immediately after
they are entered. I don't see how this can cost much. Registration is
also done on-line. When the administration said that
registration/grading savings would be gained by switching to semesters,
I asked them how many staff positions would be terminated because of the
switch to semester. Well... none. So I asked how many part-time
persons are hired during registration such that we would be hiring them
two times rather than three times. Well... none. So I asked them to
explain how the savings comes about. Well... two beginnings and endings
are less expensive than three. Okay, now I get it.

Hugh discussed different definitions of quarters. Actually the federal
government and most states have definitions of quarters and semesters.
Schools don't have to follow those definitions, but if they don't it is
supposed to have implications for student financial aid. A quarter is
10 weeks of classes (i.e. an exam week would be an 11th week). A
semester is 15 weeks of classes (i.e. an exam week would be a 16th
week). In either system an academic year contains 30 weeks of classes.
A fulltime student must carry at least 12 credit hours. A class is
supposed to meet one class hour (50 minutes) for each credit hour.

Schools that don't accept federal aid themselves or for students can do
anything they want. But schools that receive aid directly or administer
federal aid for their students are supposed to follow these rules. If a
school has less than 30 weeks of classes in an academic year, the
student head count is supposed to be pro-rated and aid dollars are
supposed to be pro-rated. I don't think all schools do this, and some
of them could be facing penalties if they get caught.

A school could legitimately shave some days or weeks from the 30-week
year if classes run longer so they can get a legitimate number of class
hours in a shorter number of days.

It appears these guidelines/rules are not always practiced, but I do
believe the government provides a definition of what a quarter or
semester is.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University