[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

Sorry, I can't find my packet including my scores and sample test
booklet given by the CBEST people or the Kaplan type book I bought.

Obviously I'm no genius, my Ph.D. is mediocre, but also, obviously, I
passed grad. courses in mechanics (Goldstein), QM, E&M (Panofsky and
Phillips), Math for Physicists (taught by a fresh Ph.D. from H.
Margenau, so I know it wasn't dumbed down), etc. Despite this I got a
score not much above half way between passing and perfect.

This explains why I wrote it wasn't trivial (sexist term, according to
my mother).

bc

Robert Cohen wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I rather doubt the above refers to California credentialed
teachers, as they must pass the CBEST to be fully
credentialed. The maths. section is not trivial; I know.

http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/PDFs/CBESTUpdatedTestSpecs.pdf

What is the passing score? The site says the passing score is 37 but
that is a scaled score (minimum 20; maximum 80).