[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

Robert Cohen asks:

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Cohen [mailto:Robert.Cohen@PO-BOX.ESU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:58 AM

Michael Edmiston wrote:
<snip>
Please understand that the math profs at my institution are
as exasperated over this type of student as I am. That's why
they try to get their students to take my physics course.
But their 10% success rate at getting their majors to take
physics is abysmal.
<snip>

What is preventing them from *requiring* physics in their curriculum?
*****
I can't speak to Michael's specific situation, but at my College there
is a 42 hour limit on the number of hours that can be required for a
major. We have traditionally "finessed" that limit by declaring the
intro course a pre-requisite rather than part of the major (that saves
us 8 hours towards the limit) and by making the 15 hours of math
"co-requisites." I am now back on the Curriculum Committee for the
first time in over a decade, and the current membership seems willing to
raise the limit to 55 hours (half the minimum required for graduation).
Our major actually requires 54 hours of physics and mathematics,
assuming no advanced placement.

"I never think of the future.
It comes soon enough"
-Albert Einstein