[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

However, as I have watched students get pushed to achieve more and sooner
( and there are many that can) I find the early teaching in the younger
grades focusing on an algorithmic approach and foregoing the development
of real understanding. I am not convinced that all students are really
ready to master algebra in grade 8 at age 13 or 14. Many can but not all
by any means. I should not be surprised.

Ken Fox

Ken,
I agree with you on your final point. In my own case, in 7th grade (nearly 30 years ago now) I
was placed in a very advanced pre-algebra class based on my standardized test scores. However, I
struggled through the whole year because I didn't have the foundation or maturity I needed to work
at that level. The school system in its wisdom then placed me in a low level (remedial) course for
8th grade, which, of course, was extremely boring for me. In 9th grade, I entered the regular
algebra class and did quite well, having achieved the maturity level that allowed me to function in
the course.

Regards,
David Marx