From: "John Denker" <jsd@AV8N.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:05 AM
Subject: student mathematical capability

Rick Tarara wrote in part:

... VAST majority of intro-level students ...
... except for a gifted (or perverse) few ...
... students for which the Pythagorean Theorem is 'heavy math'

Hmmmm. IMHO if physics students find the Pythagorean theorem to be a
burden,
this is a problem. This problem cannot be solved by dumbing down the
physics
curriculum. The advising system should be set up to ensure that such
students
take remedial math now, and not take physics until later. If there is a
breakdown in the advising system, the problematic students should be
identified
early in the year, so they can make a timely transfer out of physics into
remedial
math.

======================================

As a secondary, less-useful line of inquiry, I am confused about how such
problem could possibly arise in the first place.

1) According to
http://www.saintmarys.edu/~admoff/General/
incoming freshmen are required to have taken three full years of
high school math. Presumably the least-aggressive sequence of HS
courses would be
-- Algebra I
-- Geometry
-- Algebra II / Trig
and other more-aggressive sequences would only support my point (below)
more strongly.

2) Also, according to
http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/8462.html
some 82% of incoming freshmen have SAT math scores over 500.

3) We are told that by the time the students get around to studying
relativity in physics class, "the Pythagorean Theorem is 'heavy math'"

I find it difficult to reconcile point (2) with point (3). One might
consider
the hypothesis that primarily the least-math-capable students -- i.e. the
bottom 18% -- sign up for physics. But that seems unlikely.

I find it even more difficult to reconcile point (1) with point (3). A
possible hypothesis is that students who could have handled the
Pythagorean
theorem on the day they arrived can no longer do so, because they have
become less skillful during their time at college.

I'm confused. What am I missing?