[Phys-L] Re: "moving clock runs slower" (yes)

| Now John D. suggests a new way of interpreting length
| contraction and time dilation. If I have understood his point
| correctly, John's interpretation puts mass, length, and time
| in the same footing. The concept of mass has already been
| reinterpreted, perhaps the same could happen also for length
| and time in relativity?

I'd be careful, depending on what you mean by "the same footing".

In some sense, he is being very careful to put them on different
footings.

Mass is an invariant quantity, intrinsic to the object.

Length and time are projections, not intrinsic to the object but rather
related, in part, to the geometry of the reference frame used to make
those measurements.

|Clearly, the Phys-L forum is not
| enough to make this happen. John, could you put your
| arguments in the form an article, e.g. to American Journal of
| Physics? It would be exciting to see how the physics
| community would react.

I'm not sure if his ideas are sufficiently "new" or "different" to
warrant such publication. (though they might be.) Look at Taylor &
Wheelers "Space-time physics" if you haven't in the past.