[Phys-L] Re: "moving clock runs slower" (yes)

I was sort of following along until John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Both twins determine the time for the trip by dividing the
distance traveled by the relative velocity. Since the stay
at home twin determines that it is "really" a larger
distance, he finds that the trip "really" takes longer. Q.E.D.

The time is measured as the distance divided by the relative velocity?
How do you measure the relative velocity? Now I'm lost.