From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-
L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Sciamanda
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 11:37 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Average earlier or average later?

Which average you use depends on what you are going to do with
it:

For instance, the conclusion that the average energy of a
monatomic
ideal
gas is 3kT/2 requires the average of (mv^2)/2, not the energy
of the
molecule with the average speed. IE. the conclusion uses the
average
of the
squared speed, not the square of the average speed (in
specifying the
average energy).

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)