[Phys-L] Re: Average earlier or average later?

At 07:02 AM 9/9/2005, you wrote:
Thanks to Michael Edmiston for starting this thread. I have routinely
asked students to do the calculation both ways - "average earlier or
average later" - and to then compare. What they usually find is similar
to what his student found - within the uncertainties, the two methods
are not distinguishable. If they still want to know which is "the right
answer" I ask how they might decide between the two - with the usually
teased out answer to "get more data."

"I never think of the future.
It comes soon enough"
-Albert Einstein

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505

phone: (804) 752-7344
fax: (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://faculty.rmc.edu/gspagna

I think this is misleading direction.
One can demonstrate that for ANY amount of data
disposed equally about one value, a calculation can show a difference
between two processing methods for a result depending on multiplying
one well defined variable against another scattered variable.
The case in point involves multiplying the well defined length
by the inverse of (scattered) time.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!