[Phys-L] Re: Piaget

To be fair there are certainly problems with some of his "theories", but his
research was extensive and extremely well done. While the stages have been
shown to not be exact, they still provide a good predictor of performance in
science and math subjects. When one pushes up students in the stages, there
is a corresponding rise in measured IQ.

The article was essentially trying to justify "more rigorous" curricla,
which means more stuff. So the idea of stages was to be discredited by one
experiment despite the fact that there are numerous experiments which show
that there are definite developmental milestones. One must allow for the
fact that some of these milestones are achieved in parallel separately
rather than in always in a strict sequence.

Now if Anton Lawson who has extensively studied, experimented and written
about this subject said this I would take it more seriously.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Jack,
I am surprised that your are suckered by that old logical trick: if
one part is wrong the whole thing is wrong.
Further, look at the persons credentials...he is a biologist from
some minor California school...why are you so credulous?

joe