[Phys-L] Re: ID Tail Wags Science Dog

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Right, however, what I was arguing is a pattern. This one is, I think,
an isolated case,

The pattern is well documented. The latest case is by no
means isolated

I quote a snippet from the announcement / executive summary
of a report from the Union of Concerned Scientists:

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/page.cfm?pageID=1449

Since the release of the [first] UCS report in February,
the administration has continued to undermine the
integrity of science in policy making, seemingly
unchecked. Many scientists have spoken out about their
frustration with an administration that has undermined
the quality of the science that informs policy making by
suppressing, distorting, or manipulating the work done by
scientists at federal agencies and on scientific advisory
panels.

You can download the entire report (34 pages) from:
http://www.ucsusa.org/documents/Scientific_Integrity_in_Policy_Making_July_2004.pdf

And here's their latest update on the issue:
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/page.cfm?pageID=1753

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think integrity is important.