From: "John Clement" <clement@HAL-PC.ORG>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 11:47 PM
Subject: Re: compromise on ID ... or not

<snip>

The article seemed to indicate that the current trend towards
sprirituality
actually breeds tolerance of other points of view. Perhaps the
intolerance
towards evolution by some religious is a sign of insecurity. They have
doubts which compel them to kill dissent from their ideas lest they be
tempted to lose their faith. Again I see this as immaturity in a moral
sense.

It is not their own faith "they" are concerned with, it is the faith their
children may or may not develop as a consequence. Attributing crises of
faith to "some religious", meaning those who find the teaching of evolution
(or, as I contend, the way it is often presented) unacceptable, may be
reassuring, but is most likely highly inaccurate.