[Phys-L] Re: compromise on ID ... or not

"Since most members of this list are not biologists much of the
discussion is
moot."

But "No man is an island, entire of itself ..."

[a different JD]

bc

John Clement wrote:

I would be interested in seeing if someone has developed a good lesson
plan on the nature of science and/or the scientific method which uses ID
as a counter-example, as that is the only place I can see for it in my
physics classroom.

Actually, in a sense, we do not need to immediately worry about the current
ID controversy because physics does not deal with the evolution of life.
Since most members of this list are not biologists much of the discussion is
moot. However, most of the ID supporters would also argue against the old
universe and against the current cosmology. They would argue in favor of
the Biblical young age for the universe. So once the ID supporters manage
to torpedo evolution in schools cosmology and astronomy is next. The courts
have been very consistent that religion can not be taught in public schools,
and I expect that the Kansas school board will have their rules struck down
sooner or later. Kansas will also probably pay a price in development
because of the embarrassment over the current controversy.

The price of democracy is eternal vigilance.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX