[Phys-L] Re: ID defenders

----- Original Message -----
From: "jbellina" <jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: ID defenders

The language "extrapolated from observations" is interesting to me,
especially when later we read "I can't...see how that can be tested"
McDermott is making a distinction between these two ideas, as if the
first indicates the possibility and the second would nail it down.
Am I reading that correctly.

Not so much "nail it down" as that isn't something science can do. Instead
I mean something along the lines of being able to increase the degree of
confidence. Hugh gave a great example for the Big Bang when he wrote about
a prediction about background microwave radiation based on that explanation.
Detecting it was apparently accidental, but I consider that a test of the
idea itself. I'm not sure if there is a conceiveable alternative
explanation that would account for the same observation, but it lends
further creedance to the idea itself.

If so, I want to suggest that the second does not exist in the sense
I think he means it. There is no way to prove something absolutely
true. Look at Duhem-Quine or Hanson's Patterns of Discovery. The
central idea is that any experiment built to test a theory has built
into it the assumptions of the theory, so the test is contaminated.
The best we can do is to design an experiment which will yield a
positive result if our ideas are valid. If the experiment works out,
then it supports the validity of our idea but in no way proves it.
The more experimental results consistent with our ideas, the more
confidence we have, but proof never comes.

In this sense, observations consistent with big bang or evolution led
support to the ideas, but do not prove. There is always the
possibility of some other mechanism explaining the same event.

Thank you. That is the essence of what I was trying to convey.

I know this gives ammo to the ID folks...thats why its such a tough
problem, and so easily distorted by them.

cheers,

joe