[Phys-L] Re: ID defenders (response Part I)

The point is that these ideas are not untestable *in principle.* We
may not be able to test them now, because we haven't the technology,
for instance to build accelerators of the energy needed, or perhaps
because no one has yet been clever enough to come up with some result
within the theory that is testable now. One of the reasons that
string theory hasn't taken over physics in spite of some very
interesting results is just the issue of testability. If and when
someone comes up with some definitive tests we will be able to settle
the idea of whether string theory is a fruitful effort or not. Until
they do, it remains speculation, regardless of how interesting it
might be. But it does not have its untestability built into it, as ID
does.

I find this very curious. Why do you say that the ideas _you_ espouse are
"not untestable 'in principle'" and ID ideas "have its untestability built
into it"? That has to be one of the most unscientific things -- of many --
said in this thread. I get the feeling if the creator -- whoever that
might be -- were to come to your class room and declare how s/he/it did
things, you would say go away. You are not a scientist.

I can't tell what is promoting all this apparent fear of open thinking on
this list, but it is repulsive.

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com