[Phys-L] ID defenders

John,
=20
I'm not quite aure what you mean by this statement:
=20
" But the current crop of neo-extremists doesn't play
that way. If you disagree with them, you're the enemy, and they'll c=
ome
after you. "
=20
Are you referring specifically to the conservative side of the pol=
itical spectrum, as this seems to be the side under attack within thi=
s forum lately? What bothers me about this statement is that it assu=
mes such closed-minded reaction is limited to one side. It's my own =
personal experience that in many academic settings, those on the extr=
eme political left can be just as vehement with disagreement with the=
ir views. The nature of political correctness and rampant speech co=
des on campuses is just one example of how the debate is being stifle=
d, and true academic inquiry is being lost.
=20
Here's an experiment: write an letter to the editor in the local c=
ampus paper critizing the local campus' use of affirmative action, or=
the use of public funds for a Women's Study Center. Watch what the =
reaction will be. Just be sure to use a pen name as the attacks will=
be vicious beyond belief. =20
=20
I'm not defending ID, but just pointing out that censorship, and s=
upression of opinion and debate, are certainly not limited to one sid=
e of the political spectrum.
=20
=20
For moderation,
=20
Mike Monce
Connecticut Col=
lege

=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of John Denker