[Phys-L] Re: Energy is primary and fundamental? (was RE: First Day Activities or Demos)

At 07:11 PM 8/11/2005, you wrote:
As a counter to all the things you can deal with using energy:

I am standing still on a level floor. How do I start walking? Answer that
VERY BASIC question with energy please?

Rick

R.W.Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
Free Physics Instructional Software
Windows & Mac

Here I am - a dynamically stabilized bipedal servo
(such is the unwanted complexity of the chosen example).
I relax the forward end of the bipedal terminals, and the
bipod rotates forwards, reducing its potential energy in
exchange for rotational energy.
At an instinctively learned moment, I swing one bipod forward,
folding it so as to clear the reduced clearance now available,
and plant it one step forwards, straightening it dynamically
as it touches down.
The rotating mass of the thorax/abdomen now begins returning
rotational energy to potential, but there is a loss of course.
This is made good by the parting movement of the rear foot
terminal.
...and so on.
Is there a problem?

Well, yes, of course there is a problem. Physics teachers
would do well to avoid intricate servo mechanisms of this kind.
They are not necessarily amenable to the wonderfully simplifying
assumptions which are the glory of physical analysis.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!