[Phys-L] Re: fall cleanup: sig figs

I followed the discussion on this thread with great interest and read
the link provided by John Denker:
<http://www.av8n.com/physics/uncertainty.htm>.

I have taught SF for years and am aware of the problems it raises
with some data sets and situations. I am rethinking whether to
present SF this year, but this raises some unanswered issues for me:

1) If I do not teach SF and they encounter them in college, have I
prepared my students? I recall needing to round my results using SF
rules in labs and exams in many classes.

2) How do I deal with the problem of rounding answers to text book
problems where there is no uncertainty given other than that implied
by the rules of SF? I constantly fight the standard problem of
students reporting 10 places for the answer of a homework problem
without considering which places are realistic. It is mighty nice to
have a rounding system that produces one correct answer for all
students. How does one decide that a student's answer to a problem
has too many places and validate that to a student? The Giancoli text
and answer book uses SF rules in rounding its answers.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy