[Phys-L] Re: First Day Activities or Demos

Sorry about the outburst...sometimes things get under my skin.

I wonder about the oft spoken claim on this list that we learned from
lectures. Have any of us really teased out what we did when we
listened to lectures. What else did we do, when and how did the
learning occur. I'm not thinking so much in terms of upper division
courses where we were already part of the culture, but rather of
beginning courses, and for each of us the beginning might be in a
different place.

Just a question.

I would also like to dispose of the concept of discovery in the way you
used it, and I think John hinted at it, that is working on something
with no guidance. There is always guidance, if for no other reason
that we have ideas in our heads which guide the choices we make. It
may be a case the blind leading the blind as John suggested, but it
still is guidance. In that sense all inquiry is guided, its just that
some guidance is better than others. So the best teacher is the best
guide.

joe