[Phys-L] Re: Private Universe and the Seasons

You have described the experience very well. We hold onto the ideas we
own. Our ideas come from fragmented experiences in our fragmented
lives, so it is not surprising that the models we hold privately are
probably not the scientifically accepted ones which come from more
systematic study and discourse.

It has little to do with school, in the sense that physics is how the
world works little children are doing physics as they figure out how to
pile blocks or whatever. However in the Foss, stc, and insights
curriculum physics issues appear in grades K-3, so they get the
experiences early in their schooling though not early in their lives.

The program suggests that students have to be willing to give up on
their beliefs about the world, and will be more willing to do that
based on their own new experiences.

joe