[Phys-L] Re: NAS President Testifies Before Congress on Global Warming

The bottom line to all of this is that there won't be any quick and
drastic
cuts in CO2 emmissions from the U.S. or from the world for that matter.
Weaning our energy systems off of the fossile fuels (currently 90% of
supply) will take 50 year at best and more likely will take most of this
Century to accomplish. However, it is by no means certain that we can
actually totally replace our fossil fuel energy with 'green technologies'
and even less certain that we could do this for 9 billion people all
living
at a 'western' standard of living. There are money, land usage, and
materials problems with scaling up any of the current 'clean' energy
technologies to really take over from coal, oil, and natural gas.
Try one
of my newer Energy Management Simulators to get a feel for the
problem--see
web site below.

Rick

The Chicken Littles warn that we'll be weaned, of oil at least, in much
less than a century. The alternative is switching to a coal economy,
but I think it'll be as difficult as the alternatives mentioned by RT.

France will be well off; it's electricity is already derived ~ 76% from
nuclear and 12% falling water. When the Hubbert peaks France will
easily add a few more to its approx. 58 plants, and don't forget, except
for buses, about all of its mass transit is electrically driven. It's
been predicted that soon wars will be over water not oil, well, I add
over uranium. Just think the US will invade N. Korea for it's uranium,
not WMD, and France will beef up its troops in Francophone Africa.

Wiki's Hubbert peak, note the propinquity of the US's peak and the '73
"oil shock":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubbert_Peak

How France does it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/reaction/readings/french.html

An optimistic and supposedly reliable source (Physics Today):

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-7/p47.html

Still: "A knife−edge issue

"The major source of the world's energy supply, the fossil fuels, will
decline in availability within several decades. It is of paramount
importance that the public and policymakers recognize the ensuing
shortages and the urgent need for policies that will address them. In
particular, an urgent commitment to solar and nuclear energy
technologies appears to be mandatory for the long term."

bc, who thinks coal, unlike Chicken Little's umbrella, won't work; who
also can't wait each day to drive his new Prius. More on that later?

Richard Tarara wrote:

Obviously any of the below would reduce CO2 emissions greatly, however
let's be reasonable here.