[Phys-L] Re: Suggestions for Modern Physics text?

John wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Howell [mailto:jhowell@EARLHAM.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:59 AM
Krane gets some poor reviews on Amazon,
though I personally like it. One goal of this e-mail is to see how
many folk like Krane.

I have used Krane the last several times I taught our modern physics
course. My departmental colleagues prefer Tipler. Their primary reason
seems to be that Krane does not present the early days of quantum
mechanics in chronological order (starts with photoelectric effect
rather than black body radiation. ). I happen to like Krane's order,
because photoelectric is easier for students to understand.

"Einstein said that if quantum mechanics is
right, then the world is crazy. Well,
Einstein was right. The world is crazy."
-Daniel Greenberger

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College