[Phys-L] Re: fads and facts: not easy to tell apart

At 2:48 PM -0700 7/18/05, Richard Hake wrote:
... What could David mean by "Research Data"? There's an abundance
of "Research Data," both in Hestenes (2000) and at the Modeling
website <http://modeling.asu.edu/R&E/Research.html>. To see the data
at the latter, one must take the time to download, e.g., exemplary
research articles by Halloun & Hestenes (1985a,b), Hestenes & Wells
(1992), or Hestenes et al. (1992).

Yes, Dick Hake is right. And Mitch Johnson referred to research data,
when he posted, "Download "Findings of the Modeling Workshop Project
(1994-00)". . .[Hestenes (2000)]. . . at the Modeling website
<http://modeling.asu.edu/R&E/Research.html>."

The U.S. Department of Education Expert Panel in Science relied
heavily on research data when they recognized the Modeling
Instruction Program as an exemplary K-12 science program.

We're serving 160 high school teachers of physics and chemistry this
summer, in a dozen Modeling Workshops and other graduate courses. In
addition, we're holding Modeling Workshops for 50 local middle school
and 9th grade teachers. This is typical of each summer. This work
fills our days. When things quiet down this fall, we'll prepare
papers for publication.
cheers,
Jane Jackson
--
Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287