[Phys-L] Re: Sizes of atoms

I wrote:
If there is only one sign of charge, how do you get neutral
pieces of paper?
to which John Denker gave some examples of neutrality given only
an attractive force and concluded that
<snip>
the mere observation that some
objects are mutually attracted, while others are not, does
not in principle suffice to show that there are two signs involved.
<snip>

I'm still missing something. Perhaps I am the only one.

I have three objects: A, B and C. A and B neither attract nor
repel each other. However, both are attracted to C.

I can think of two ways this can happen. One is that
there is an attraction between A and B but it is too small
to notice, as in the gravitational attraction between
a chair (A), me (B) and the earth (C).

Another has to do with polarization of opposite "charge"
in A and B, which leads to an attraction (if the force
depends upon distance) to C but not each other.

Apparently, I am missing other ways because I am blinded
by what I already know from other experiments. Can someone
explain these other ways to me?