[Phys-L] Re: server glitch

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, James R. Frysinger wrote:

"The PHYS-L server has now sent me messages twice in a row saying that my
message was being returned unprocessed and that I should alter it somehow
then resubmit it. After doing so, I saw both versions come up on the server.
My apologies for the duplication".

There is no need for apologies. This seems to be a common pattern, and I have often had the same problem. One of may latest messages to the List went through, judging by the fact that I received it myself immediately after sending, and without any notices from the server. However, I also received it in two copies - one as I sent it, but the other in a different format, with text rearranged in a long column like a poem, interrupted by signs like $ and 20, which makes it hard to read. What bothers me most is not so much the glitches themselves, as their apparent irregularity: I use the same procedure to send the messages (or do I?). The outcome, however, fluctuates wildly: sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes I get a glitch. To me, it looks like quantum-mechanical measurement of an observable in a superposition of eigenstates, rather than performance of regular classical computer.

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT