From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Chuck Britton
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 11:28 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: thrust > drag

I neglected to say that the question is accompanied by an
illustration with four orthogonal directions clearly labeled weight,
lift,(vertically directed), drag and thrust (horizontally directed).
Also the velocity is clearly stated as being in the horizontal
direction.

Our use of these terms in intro physics is indeed greatly simplified.
(but useful IMHO)

Most students state that the weight and lift forces are equal because
there is no acceleration in the vertical direction. (I take this as
being a correct answer.)

Far too many students will state on a final assessment that the
thrust must be greater than the drag because the airplane is moving
forward. (I consider this to be an incorrect response)

I don't follow all of the detailed 'explanations' that are laid out
below.

a) is said to be the correct response but further elucidation states
that thrust is a bit larger than drag.
typo somewhere here?

We'll get into the Navier-Stokes equations in a later course.