[Phys-L] Re: thrust > drag

On Jul 2, 2005, at 7:19 AM, John Denker wrote:

This depends crucially on the precise definition of
lift, drag, thrust, and weight ... which are defined
with respect to three different coordinate systems.
-- lift and drag are defined w.r.t the relative wind

John,

You may have this on your web site, so just give me the link if you
don't feel like answering. However, I'd like to better understand
the precise definitions of lift and drag. Could you provide more
details?

I've always thought of drag as being opposite the velocity of the
object, the airplane in this case. This is probably true in "still
air." However, I can see that if there's a crosswind, that would
change the direction of drag.

Thanks,

Aaron