[Phys-L] Re: gear-ratio activity

At 03:51 PM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
Hi Folks --

Recently there was some discussion of how to teach
about gears and gear ratios. This prompted me to dust
off my spreadsheet that analyzes the gear-ratios of a
bike.

There's one slight twist. We have a lovely model ...
but the data does not quite fit the model as accurately
as it could. For starters, the steps on the front
chainring would be more uniform if it were configured
not as 26-36-46 but rather as 26-35-46 ... or yet more
uniform if it were 26-35-47.

How about 48-36-27 (?)
on an old Cannondale mountain bike...

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!