[Phys-L] very close call in power grod

I quote washingtonpost.com:

"It was very bizarre, very disconcerting. And we may have a major
problem on our hands," said engineer Aaron Cooperberg.

... the precise cause of the malfunction has not been identified, and
they say it could happen again. "Fundamentally, we had a very close
call, and we don't know why," said another engineer, .....

"the ringing lasted about 12 seconds." Computer simulations showed
that "the oscillations can grow with time and result in the breakup
of the power system in about 30 seconds,"

Full story at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/20/AR2005062001449_pf.html

How many more blackouts does it take before these guys
get their act together?