[Phys-L] Re: Lightning and indoor pools

Having been a lifeguard in Houston (were electrical storms are frequent
and intense) I can say for certain that the lifeguard sitting in a
chair on a metal pole near an open flat area is at considerable risk
during a storm. I had to tolerate endless complaints from residents of
the neighborhood regarding the 1 hour after the last thunderclap rule.
But one day I while being berated yet again in the club house, a bolt
blew the transformer off a pole no more that 100 ft from the pool -
that stopped complaints (and a sense of hearing) for a while. It's
great to witness the universe conserving karma :-)

Oddly, the pool abutted a line of high tension towers (the big ones),
but the bolt struck a regular pole off to the side. No explaining that
with simple rules.

Although illegal in the US, electric fishing is done in other places; I
have seen the results and the tech. is very effective.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy