[Phys-L] Re: Lightning and indoor pools

This was the argument ME used in the previous thread to stay away from
the wiring and plumbing. His argument is good enuff for me to stay away
(out).

http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9904&L=phys-l&P=R17822

What I mean about attracting lightning is that once the lightning
entered the bldg. it would preferentially sink in the pool. Don't know
about the conductivity of concrete; even if not much less than the
floor the pool area is very large, so ....

bc, informed

Hugh Haskell wrote:
I believe I read somewhere (but can't remember where now) that the
problem with swimming pools, indoor and outdoor, is that a lightning
strike near a pool can cause rather large transient currents that, if
someone is in a pool when the current surges through it, can be
fatal. I have no further information to support that statement, but
in the absence of hard data, I am not willing to use myself as an
experimental subject for the test. Hence, when the whistle blows, I
dutifully get out of the pool and wait until I am authorized to go
back in. It may be an unnecessary precaution but I am willing to give
them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams