[Phys-L] Re: Definition of electric field

would Jim accept a field being the result of an experiment (series of
measurements), i.e. say a spread sheet?

bc

Jim Green wrote:

*) from a purely technical point of view, not
nearly as important as it might seem, for the
following reason: At the end of the day, the
electromagnetic field is what it is; it does
what it does. A caveman can build a fire that
radiates electromagnetic fields, without needing
to "define" the field. Definitions have to do
with how _we_ think about the field, whereas the
field exists whether we think about it or not.

Oh my, Folks, the "field" does NOT "exist" -- It is an INVENTION. There
was no field for cavemen as they had not yet invented one. Forces existed
-- even without recognizing them but not "fields." It looks as if we are
off on another field trip (oops) to reify another concept.

Jim