[Phys-L] Re: Definition of electric field

Hi-
I can avoid John Denker's caveats by resorting to the approach
taken in the discussion labs of the kind advocated by Hake and by myself.
Definitions, in this approach, are operational: I define a quantity by
telling you how to measure it (See Bridgeman, <The Logic of Modern
Physics>). I can measure forces (with standard springs), positions, time
lapses, and, perhaps, if I am clever, velocities. An electric field is a
fiction, deduced from mapping a certain force field in a region.
"Field" here, is short for "vector field". A vector field
consists of a set of vectors, each vector associated with a point in space
(or spacetime, if you want to get fancy). Thus, a force field can be
mapped by measuring forces in a region. An E-vector can be calculated by
measuring the force on a static electric charge at a point.
Regards,
Jack