Physics Professor
Sandhills Community College, Pinehurst, NC 28374
swansonr@sandhills.edu (910) 695-3715

larry.woolf@GAT.COM 5/20/2005 11:10:21 AM >>>
-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators On Behalf Of Michael Edmiston
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: god friendly science

Intelligent design and other attempts to make religion more "scientific"
just don't appear to have any merit because, at the root, religion is in a
different compartment from science, and compartmental overlap just isn't
there.

This is what Stephen Jay Gould so eloquently called "Nonoverlapping
Magisteria."
<http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma.html>
"The lack of conflict between science and religion arises from a lack of
overlap between their respective domains of professional expertise-science
in the empirical constitution of the universe, and religion in the search
for proper ethical values and the spiritual meaning of our lives. The
attainment of wisdom in a full life requires extensive attention to both
domains-for a great book tells us that the truth can make us free and that
we will live in optimal harmony with our fellows when we learn to do justly,
love mercy, and walk humbly."

Other relevant essays are at:
<http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library.html>

including one of my favorites