From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael Edmiston
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 3:10 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: god friendly science

Aaron Titus said, "Christian faith (whether fundamentalist or not) is
based on the deity of Christ. If someone believes otherwise, whether
they call themselves Christian or not, is not by definition of Christian
faith." After this was challenged by Wes Davis, Aaron wrote about the
historical Jesus whom the disciples believed was the Christ, and Aaron
also cautioned us about everyday definitions versus operational
definitions. I don't know who is the final authority on this, but most
dictionaries give some variant of the following... "Professing belief in
Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and
teachings of Jesus." Thus, the dictionary definition would allow those
who follow the teachings of Jesus to call themselves Christian.