[Phys-L] Re: Whither Introductory Physics Labs? (was Lab Reports - was Human Error)

Generally students who do well can discuss and tell you what they
understand. So I do see a correlation between high evaluation scores and
other indicators. But more to the point, these tests were developed using
other written and verbal evaluations. They were developed using interview
protocols, so they are certainly fairly accurate. But they do not measure
all aspects of learning, and I have mentioned that in prior posts. This is
the main criticism by the U.Mass Amherst group of these evaluations, and it
is very valid. Unfortunately they are the only instruments that we have to
compare various programs.

The bottom line is that you may be achieving exactly what you think, but you
have little hard evidence unless you pre and posttest using these
instruments. If you get high gain then you have another piece of evidence
which you can compare with other programs. OTOH most teachers who use this
are dismayed to find that their evaluations did not reveal the problems seen
in the FCI/FMCE testing. There are now other evaluations that can be used
for E&M... and the classic McDermott questions can also be valuable. Then
of course there is the classic Lawson Test of Scientific Thinking. Lawson
gets a very large change on this test in his courses.

The account of interviews is certainly good evidence, but cross checking
with other evidence would be very valuable. In addition since you have some
conceptions about student attitudes the MPEX would be a valuable test to see
if you are changing them. All of these tests have published data that you
can compare to. In my case I have little time or energy to do interview
protocols after meeting with 90 students daily in broken into 45 min
sessions. Some classes have as many as 25 students, with not enough
equipment or tables to break them into the desirable groups of 3. I need to
use the standard evaluations to find out what is going on. And then there
is the challenge of getting a HS student in for a one on one interview. One
should interview a random sampling, and it is vital to learn the proper
style of interview to get the information you want.

Actually at the college level you have very little leverage to change
student attitudes, while the greatest change might be possible in the
earlier grades.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

So perhaps at this point I should asked Jack, and Richard and John...
are your proven test instruments really telling you what you think they
are telling you? Can the students who do well on these exams sit down
and explain the physics concepts to you verbally or in writing?