[Phys-L] Re: Millikan Expt. (was Lab reports)

Well, I've been doing this experiment with juniors and seniors for four semesters. The
mean value and the mode value for e is 1.59 x 10^-19 C for the students that have done
the procedures and calculations correctly. I have the students get as much as they can
from 8 to 10 drops. This means several transits and exposing a few of the drops to the
active source.

When students do not get close to the accepted value, they blame it on "human error"
associated with starting and stopping the stop watch. To avoid this, I have them go
though all the motions of the data collection without actually writing it down for the first
hour. Each member of the group (of 3 or 4) is asked to go through the practice. Then,
the group decides which person is most comfortable observing and manipulating the
drops. It turns out that the error is usually in either calculation or the unit conversions.
The unit conversion will often lead to them being off by several orders of magnitude.

The percent error I was referring to is the comparison with the accepted value. They
are also asked to determine the uncertainty from their data.

One final point, many of the students that get a value of 1.59 x 10^-19 C still use the
"human error" explanation. Obviously, there is no error that is too small to blame on
human error.

Take care,
David Marx