[Phys-L] Re: FM Signals

At 12:24 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
My son is in Iraq -- He is in charge of a military satellite station. For
reasons only the pixies know -- likely because he is bored -- asks the
following:

Can I use a regular UHF amplifier to boost an FM signal (88-90 MHz)?

Comments???

Jim

There are masthead amps
and there are distribution amps
and there are UHF amps with VHF pass through
and there are VHF amps with UHF pass through
and there are VHF amps with FM stoppers
and there are broadband VHF/UHF amps.
The commercial offerings seem to run $20 to $60
and they can pass power up the coax
and they claim 3 dB NF and 20 or 30dB gain
some claim 1.8dB NF and 20 dB gain,
and some can switch in a 10 dB attenuator.
If he were so inclined, a transistor, a piece of
stiff copper wire and a resistor and capacitor or
two might serve the purpose.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!