[Phys-L] Re: FM Signals

FM is typically 88 to 108 MHz.

UHF is typically 300 MHz up to microwave (about 3 GHz or so).

Thus, it would seem to me that a UHF amplifier would have sufficient
bandwidth in the basic active elements to amplify FM frequencies.
However, I would assume the UHF amplifier is not DC coupled, and the
gain is probably intentionally rolled off below 300 MHz so that the
amplifier doesn't waste any energy amplifying signals outside bandwidth
it was designed for.

In the end, I would assume that a UHF amplifier would be designed to
have no gain outside of it's intended operating bandwith.

Note that my answer comes from experience with other amplifiers. I have
no direct experience or knowledge of UHF amplifiers.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817