[Phys-L] Re: Reaction Time (was Re: Human Error?)

At 07:43 AM 5/2/2005, John M., you wrote:

George wrote:

Typical reaction times are on the order of .25 s; the stopwatches we use
display precision on the order of +/- 5 ms. I suggest to my students
that claiming the instrumental limit as the uncertainty of their
measurement is unreasonable, especially for a single trial. Repeated
trials characteristically show a standard deviation consistent with
reaction time, rather than the stopwatch's displayed precision. (1)

That's not at all what I find. In my experience, good technique with
a stopwatch of sufficient instrumental precision easily results in
measurement uncertainties (derived properly from repeated
measurements) that are far smaller than typical reaction times. (2)
For instance, I can readily obtain a series of measurements for a
ball rolling down an inclined plane that has a standard
deviation less than 50 ms.

Moreover, even if the two were more consistent, I would argue
strongly that the uncertainty in such timing measurements--where
nothing is taking anyone by surprise--has essentially nothing to do
with the phenomenon that is properly called "reaction time." (3)

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

Here John argues against the sentence numbered (1) with his
sentence numbered (2) and supported by his sentence (3)

In contrast, I assert that sentence (1) and sentence (2) are not
about the same issue: (1) speaks to the deviations measured in
reaction times , and sentence (2) asserts that measured deviations
which he calls "measurement uncertainties", are smaller than
reaction times - to which I respond: and so they certainly
should be!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!